Licensing Requirements

Education Requirement

  1. United States Educated Applicants - Each applicant for licensure as a physical therapist or physical therapist assistant must have completed a CAPTE approved program of physical therapy education appropriate for preparation as a physical therapist or physical therapist assistant and sucessfully passed the National Physical Therapy Exam(NPTE).
  2. Non-United States Educated Applicants - All foreign educated therapists applying for a PT license in Alabama must complete a credentials review through FCCPT. A copy of the evaluation from FCCPT plus an English translated copy of the transcript must be sent directly to the board from this credentialing agency. Foreign educated physical therapist applicants must submit their education credentials directly to:

    Foreign Credentialing Commission on Physical Therapy
    124 West St., South; Third Floor
    Alexandria, VA 22314
    Telephone (800) 881-1430
    Fax (703) 684-8715

    The Federation of State Board of Physical Therapy (FSBPT) provides an online tool to assist the foreign educated applicant to asses their status before they start the application process. CLICK HERE to get strarted.

    The board shall make the sole judgment in determining whether educational credentials are equivalent and acceptable.

Good Moral Character Required

    The determination as to what constitutes other than good moral character and reputation shall be solely within the judgment of the board. Licensure shall be refused to any applicant who is of other than good moral character.

Application Requirements

  • Completed Application Form.
  • $150 Application Fee paid (cashier's check or money order, no personal checks or cash).
  • 2 Character Reference Forms.
  • Official School Transcript.
  • NPTE Score sent to Board Office.
  • Jursiprudence requirement met.
  • Passport Style Photo.
  • Licensure by Endorsement, applicant must have official verification from each state they hold a license.
  • Licensure by Endorsement, 10 hours of continuing education completed in the last 12 months, unless graduation has been within the past 12 months.

Jurisprudence Requirement

Temporary License

License Renewal

  • Each license expires on October 1 of the year following its issuance.
  • Annual renewal period is July 1 through September 30.
  • Annual renewal fees ($130 for Physical Therapists, $93 for Physical Therapists Assistants).
  • 10 hours of continuing education required at renewal.
  • All licensees must have 2 hours of Alabama Jurisprudence continuing education every 5 years (2020, 2025, 2030, etc.).
  • Practicing without a valid license can include a fine of up to $500, a term of imprisonment, or both.

License Restoration

  • Expired license may, within 5 years of its expiration date, be renewed on the payment to the board of set fees.
  • Licenses expired more than 5 years may be obtained only by complying with the provisions relating to the issuance of an original license.

Original License Replacement

  • A licensee may be issued an official replacement license upon completing the appropriate documentation and payment of a $10 fee.
  • The licensee must complete the Affidavit Of License form.
  • A printable copy of a License is available at AVAILABLE ONLINE SERVICES.

License Verification Fee

  • The board charges a fee of $25 to verify to other boards or entities that a licensee is in good standing.
  • To request a License Verification, please visit AVAILABLE ONLINE SERVICES.