- Each license expires on October 1 of the year following its issuance.
- Annual renewal period is July 1 through September 30.
- Annual renewal fees ($130 for Physical Therapists, $93 for Physical Therapists Assistants).
- 10 hours of continuing education required at renewal. (details below)
- All licensees must complete a minimum of two (2) hours of Alabama Jurisprudence continuing education every five years beginning in 2020.
- Practicing without a valid license can include a fine of up to $500, a term of imprisonment, or both.
- COURSE PROVIDERS: Please be advised that pre-approval for courses offered is not required. We will honor any coursework relevant to the practice of physical therapy.
It is your professional judgment, to determine if the continuing education activities completed are applicable, appropriate, and meet the requirements of the Board. All continuing education offerings, regardless of source will be accepted provided that it is directly related to the licensee’s practice of physical therapy and meets the GENERAL GUIDELINES.
2019 Licensee Renewal Requirements
- All licensees are required to have a minimum of ten (10) hours of continuing education activities, unless license was obtained by Exam within the past calendar year.
- Continuing education submitted may not exceed the compliance period that began October 1, 2017.
- Alabama Jurisprudence CE is not required with this year's renewal.
- Instructions for the renewal application
Expired License Restoration
- Expired license may, within 5 years of its expiration date, be renewed on the payment to the board of set fees.
- Licenses expired more than 5 years may be obtained only by complying with the provisions relating to the issuance of an original license.
- Expired License Renewal Form
Original License Replacement
- A licensee may be issued an official replacement license upon completing the appropriate documentation and payment of a $10 fee.
- The licensee must complete the Affidavit of License form.
Updating Personal Information
- All Licensees are required to keep the Board apprised of changes in personal information. Changes to all contact information may be completed via the Licensee Online Profile. To complete a name change, please fill out the NAME CHANGE FORM and return to our office.