- United States Educated Applicants - Each applicant for licensure as a physical therapist or physical therapist assistant must have completed a CAPTE approved program of physical therapy education appropriate for preparation as a physical therapist or physical therapist assistant and successfully passed the National Physical Therapy Exam(NPTE).
- Non-United States Educated Applicants - All foreign educated therapists applying for a PT license in Alabama must complete a credentials review through FCCPT. A copy of the evaluation from FCCPT plus an English translated copy of the transcript must be sent directly to the board from this credentialing agency. Foreign educated physical therapist applicants must submit their education credentials directly to:
Foreign Credentialing Commission on Physical Therapy
124 West St., South; Third Floor
Alexandria, VA 22314
Telephone (800) 881-1430
Fax (703) 684-8715
The Federation of State Board of Physical Therapy (FSBPT) provides an online tool to assist the foreign educated applicant to assess their status before they start the application process. CLICK HERE to get started.
The board shall make the sole judgment in determining whether educational credentials are equivalent and acceptable.
Good Moral Character Required
The determination as to what constitutes other than good moral character and reputation shall be solely within the judgment of the board. Licensure shall be refused to any applicant who is of other than good moral character.
- Completed online application with $100 application fee paid.
- Official college/university transcript that shows degree posted sent directly to Board from the school either electronically (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by U.S. Mail.
- NPTE Score sent to Board Office.
- Government issued photo ID.
- Proof of legal presence such as birth certificate, passport, immigration documentation, etc. If you have a “Star” Driver’s License, proof of legal presence requirement is met.
- Licensure by score transfer/endorsement - 10 hours of continuing education completed in the last 12 months unless graduation was within the past 12 months. These documents may be emailed to email@example.com.
- Licensure by endorsement/score transfer - applicant must have official verification from each state they hold a license.
All applicants for licensure (new graduates and endorsements) must complete two (2) hours of continuing education on the topic of Alabama Physical Therapy jurisprudence, covering both the Practice Act and the Administrative Code
prior to the next year’s license renewal. For example, if your license was issued in 2022, you are required to submit two (2) hours of Alabama jurisprudence before or with your 2023 renewal.
Thereafter, two (2) hours of jurisprudence covering Alabama’s Practice Act and the Administrative Code will be required in years that end in “0” or “5” (2025, 2030, 2035, etc.).